Tuesday 16 December 2014

Characterisation #1

In terms of characterisation I knew that playing either Jimmy, Alison, Helena or Cliff would all require deep analysis of their complex personalities; each of them have their own story, feelings and concerns. I realise that to portray a truthful representation of these personas, I need to  always be aware of the motivations behind the dialogue and actions of my own character particularly.

Casting

Beth, Ryan and I decided we would work well together because we seemed to have a similar ambition for our performance and characterisation; we all wanted to seriously try to convey a naturalistic scene that challenged us and put us under constant self-assessment to overall improve our understanding and application of Stanislavski's Naturalism. Also, the three of us shared the opinion that we did not want our scene to reflect the style of a soap opera; no part of us seen this style as 'the familiar style that we've known since playing 'house' as children' and we definitely didn't want it to be 'GCSE'. So it was satisfying to know that we were all on the same 'wave-length' about our performance.

The most obvious decision was to choose the last scene of the play which included one male role  Jimmy) and two female roles (Helena and Alison) but we also thought that scene provided a good balance of light-hearted dialogue and passionate monologues for each character.

Jimmy- Ryan
Beth- Alison
Myself- Helena

I personally preferred to have the character of Helena because I liked that she was quite feisty, strong-minded (more so in our chosen scene) and the fact that she acted upon her principles eventually. I knew that Helena's character has a lot of qualities that I can relate to and I found myself understanding her monologues on a more personal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment