Thursday 18 December 2014

Directors Notes #1 | Speech

Although I was aiming to play Helena's character with an RP/Standard English accent I find myself still struggling with some vowel sounds- particularly 'u'. In one of Helena's monologues the word 'utterly' was something that I was struggling to make sound natural and fluid, and my northern accent would be exposed in every attempt. Despite how small the matter was, I realised that if I consciously begin to train myself to develop my RP accent now (at this stage of my education) it will benefit me profusely.

So instead of dismissing the matter and removing the word from my script completely, I was directed to consciously try to improve it and I found after one rehearsal session at home trying to identify the phonological problem in my speech, I feel I am now able to overcome it. Of course it was a small issue, but the principle of dealing with things is something that I notice helps and can help me overcome others.

1 comment:

  1. This is good evidence of your commitment to the process. Simple things like altering a vowel sound can make a huge difference to delivering a convincing accent.

    ReplyDelete